Each week during the Here Comes the Bride exhibit, the history of one of the dresses will be featured on the website and social media. Visit these dresses and more in person from June 2 and extended through October 7, 2023, at the David L. Pierce Art & History Center. Exhibit hours will be listed below the article.
Last week, we looked at the dress worn by Della Mae Schoo for her first marriage in 1962. This week, we look at her dress for her second wedding in 1976.
This dress was worn by Della Schoo Paluska (b. 1943) for her wedding to Richard F. Winckler (b. 1949) on March 31, 1976. The second marriage for both parties, the wedding took place at the Kane County Government Center in Geneva, where Della was employed.
The dress reflects its 1970s era – it is floor-length, made up of a thick peach-colored underlay with a sheer, floral-patterned attached overlay. It has a v-neck with large ruffled collar, and ruffles along the hem. The dress itself is actually sleeveless, but is combined with a cropped, long-sleeved bolero-style overjacket of the same sheer material and pattern, also hemmed along its bottom with ruffles; together, they appear as one. The bride purchased her dress at the Jacqueline Shop in Oswego.
Della grew up on Aurora’s east side, and had married the first time about a year after her 1961 graduation from East High. Richard grew up in a farming family from Sugar Grove, and graduated from Hinckley-Big Rock High School. After graduation, he continued farming in Sugar Grove and Big Rock, and had married for the first time in 1970.
The couple, who are still married, reside in Big Rock, and Della still works for Kane County. She donated this dress, along with the dress from her first marriage, to the Aurora Historical Society in 2005.