Each week during the Here Comes the Bride exhibit, the history of one of the dresses will be featured on the website and social media. Visit these dresses and more in person from June 2 through August 12, 2023, at the David L. Pierce Art & History Center. Exhibit hours will be listed below the article.
This dress was worn by Maude A. Hughes (1887-1955) for her wedding to Frank G. Banker (1884-1946) on October 13, 1912. Maude was born and raised in Naperville, while Frank grew up on a farm in Sugar Grove Township.
After the marriage, the couple moved to the Banker family farm on Deerpath Road, where Frank continued to make a living as a farmer. They lived on the farm for the rest of their days.
Maude’s dress is a one-piece ivory silk featuring a narrow skirt and elbow-length sleeves. Both top and bottom include multiple decorative layers with lacework, anchored by large rosettes.
This elaborate dress was crafted by seamstress Agnes Banker, sister of the groom. A year later, Agnes would marry John Kopp in a dress she made herself. Six decades later, both dresses were donated to the Historical Society by Agnes’ daughter, Betty Kopp Gorshe.